Friday, March 4, 2011

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe


When I was in elementary school I made a goal that I have never forgotten-I would find the Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe.

It was the custom for all the kids to bring cookies and cupcakes and yummy goodies for bake sales and class treats. I remember how the other kids mother's made such soft chewy cookies and how mine were hard and didn't look nearly as good. I decided that someday I would make the best chocolate chip cookies, and that my kids would be known for bringing the best chocolate chip cookies for the bake sales and the class treats.

I took this goal very seriously and experimented with a variety of recipes through junior high, high school and into my college years.

Then one day a nice neighbor happened to bring me a plate of cookies. These cookies were rich, chewy, and looked as if they had come from a bakery. Not only did she make me these cookies and make them for every get together she ever went to, but she gave me the recipe.


The first time I tried the recipe I was very worried - what if only my friend can make them this good and mine don't taste as good? - but to my relief the recipe was easy to follow and mine turned out great as well. Through the years since then I have made them for many get togethers and for my children and received many compliments.

I knew I had found my recipe and I have looked forward to school starting for my children so I could proudly send them to school armed with the best chocolate chip cookies.

Here is the recipe I spent years searching for:

Mrs. Fields Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 c brown sugar
1 1/2 c sugar
1 lb of real butter
3 eggs
2 Tbs vanilla
1 1/2 Tbs baking soda
1 1/2 Tbs salt
6c flour
4c chocolate chips
2 c nuts (optional)

Preheat oven 350 F. Beat sugars until smooth - important! Add butter, cream together well. Add eggs and vanilla, mix. Add dry ingredients (dough will be stiff). Add chocolate chips and nuts (optional). Spoon onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. No longer! Cookies will be doughy when you take them out. Let cool for about 10 minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring to plate. This recipe is huge - can cut in half or freeze some of the dough for another day.


One last note:My kids love it when I substitute half of the chocolate chips with M&M's

Check out other inspiring recipes at:
Tasty Tuesday

Tempt my Tummy Tuesday

1 comment:

  1. Your mom must have used the same recipe my mom did - 'cause her chocolate chip cookies were always flat and crunchy. :) It was always one of my goals to make a soft chocolate chip cookie too. This recipe looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete